Hello and welcome to the DXX-Rebirth project!
This project is dedicated to two of the most impressive First-Person Shooters of the nineties:
Descent & Descent 2
DXX-Rebirth is a Source Port of the Descent and Descent 2 Engines for Windows, Mac OS, Linux (most *NIX systems), offering OpenGL graphics and effects, advanced Multiplayer, many improvements and new features.
Descent and Descent 2 are pretty old games so you usually run into problems running it on more recent Hardware and Operating Systems. DXX-Rebirth will also take care about this for you.
It’s Open Source, it’s Multiplatform!
Still DXX-Rebirth is no clone. Our Philosophy is to bring these games to the new millenium, keep ’em alive – reborn. It’s our desire to maintain the original Feeling and Gameplay we all love so much.
In short: If you love these games and if you want to play them, you came to the right place.
- DXX-Rebirth v0.60 BETA 1 released! (12/12/2016)
Hey folks! It’s been three years since the last release and today I would like to present you DXX-Rebirth v0.60 BETA 1 – formally labelled v0.59.100! Now you may wonder: ‘Why a BETA?’. Within the past three years, a lot changed. The source codes of both games were merged (there are still two binaries, one for each game) and much of the code was refactored. While we’ve been putting a lot of effort into testing, there is only so much ground we can cover. And that’s why we decided to go with a public BETA for you guys to try out.
What’s new in this version:
- Merged code bases and massive code refactorization. [Massive thanks to kp]
- Homing projectiles now behave like in the original game running at 30 FPS! [Thanks to Drakona, Lothar, roncli, A Future Pilot, Ryusei117 and more]
- Fixed FPS fluctuations with VSync. [Thanks to derhass]
- Flashing effects properly scale to ingame brightness setting.
- In addition to quicksave, there is now a quickload key!
- Original base input sensitivity for all devices and mouse overrun option for mouse. [Thanks to the Retro team]
- Improved collision detection, fixing player damage being way too low in some occasions. [Thanks to Drakona]
- Reworked OPTIONS menu.
- New texture filtering options! [Thanks to beware]
- Optional timers displaying countdowns for cloak and invulnerability.
- New tracker for Multiplayer games. Including UDP hold-punching ability so hosts don’t need to have their ports open [Massive thanks to A Future Pilot]
- Drastically improved positional accuracy and less latency in Multiplayer games.
- Revamped powerup management in Multiplayer which properly handles and prevents loss and excess of powerups.
- Important packets in Mulitplayer are handled in proper order, fixing a multitude of packet-loss related issues.
- A plethora of new Multiplayer options. [Thanks to the Retro team, A Future Pilot and many more]
- Proper chaff effect for bombs in D2X-Rebirth Multiplayer as intended in the original game but never implemented correctly.
- Headlights on player ships will now properly render according to headlight state of the player.
- “Bright Players” Multiplayer option will now only affect players instead of all polygon models.
- Improved thief bot to (hopefully) work more accurate in Multiplayer.
- New Multiplayer GAME INFO screen that can be toggled ingame, too.
- Fixed some Multiplayer scoring oddities.
- … and many, many more bugfixes and improvements.
You can get this new version (source and Windows binary) from the Download page!
If you happen to find any bugs or glitches, please let us know. The best way to report your findings is by submitting them to our Bugtracker on GitHub or the forums. Your feedback is very, very important so we can get everything fixed and nicely polished before the proper v0.60 release.
Known issues to be addressed before release:
- At very high FPS (> 150), some robots with movable joints may twist those erratically after a player hit and consecutively take a few moments longer to recover. This bug was already present in the original engine.
- Robots coming out of Materialization Centers show minor visual corruptions on their animated visors. Very old D1X/D2X bug.
- New bugs will be added to the Bugtracker
I wish you guys a lot of fun in the mines!