Compared to the original games, DXX-Rebirth provides a large set of improvements to enrich your gaming experience.
Here is a small and far-from-complete list of the most important features these Source Port provides:
- Plays Descent and Descent 2 and all their AddOns and third-party levels.
- DXX-Rebirth runs on your favourite Operating System. We officially support Linux (and other *NIX), Mac OS (9/X) and Windows (2000, XP, Vista, 7). Still the code can be compiled on many other systems as well.
- OpenGL provides a fast and smooth rendering – even on low-end systems.
- Optionally you can enable several effects like Transparency, Colored lighting, Texture Filtering, FSAA, etc.
- Thanks to SDL, a wide palette of Joysticks are supported. Also you can use more Joysticks, buttons and axes than you can ever operate in your state of evolution.
- If you prefer steering your Pyro with a mouse, you will not have the problem that the movement becomes slow in high game speed.
- Joystick, Keyboard and Mouse can be used simultaneously.
- The games can display all resolutions and aspects supported by your Monitor, including an option for VSync.
- Besides MIDI and CD-Audio (Redbook), you can play your own custom Music from your Harddrive or a separate AddOn.
- Both games can utilize special AddOn packs to replace or expand the original game content.
- Multiplayer via UDP protocol provides a fast and easy-to-use LAN and Online action. This includes reliable communication causing less glitches due to lost packages.
- The ingame Demo-recording system has been improved. Demos are less glitchy and smaller while still still being backwards-compatible to earlier versions of the games.
- Higher game speed will not cause glitches such as unacceptable fast homing projectiles, incredible high damage caused by several collisions or Fusion cannon, etc.
- Player files, Savegames, Demos and Missions from DOS-Versions of the games can freely be used in DXX-Rebirth and vice versa.
- Even more …