15042 Posts in 1287 Topics - by 740 Members - Latest Member: Missile

Author Topic: DXX-Rebirth and D2X-XL?  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Skafsgaard

• , Thomas
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/skafsgaard
DXX-Rebirth and D2X-XL?
« on: May 27, 2011, 07:01:28 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've been a happy user and follower of Rebirth for a few years now. It's simply great.

Though, I've learned of what seems to be another source port of primarily Descent 2 (but apparently with the ability to import and play the Descent 1 missions as well) called D2X-XL.
Can anyone enlighten me on what the differences are between the two?

I realize that D2X-XL might be considered a competitor, so mentioning it on here might be frowned upon.
If that's the case, mods should feel free to censor the name, or let me know and I'll do it myself. You'll probably know which port I'm referring to either way.

Cheers! :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 09:10:04 AM by Skafsgaard »
Skafsgaard\'s signature: Struggle Saga \"S\"
Slimy syndicate subordinate super-supporter. She submissively, still supposing, sadly slew Schengen - summa summarum; some slight shit susceptibility slip so screwed sensibility sinfully.

Offline zico

• Administrator
    • DXX-Rebirth
RE: DXX-Rebirth and D2X-XL?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 09:38:26 AM »
That's a hot topic right now. Hope it won't get too bad. ^^

Well for starters I do not see a real competition in D2X-XL. Not because I think one of the programs is superior to the other but because of two factors:

1) I think both ports have different goals.
DXX-Rebirth follows the KISS philosophy. Keep it Simple, Sexy. Being close to the original feel and so forth.
See here: http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/philosophy/
D2X-XL on the other hand adds many new features. New graphical effects like High Resolution textures, Visual effects like shadows, smoke, shockwave effects (which look VERY awesome I think). And it uses new Gameplay features like Speed tunnels you see in Descent 3, and other additions/changes compared to the original game. Keep in mind I am not aware of the complete feature-set so don't hurt me if I said something wrong now in terms of Gameplay changes. And as far as I know, most if not all additions are optional like in Rebirth, too. :)

(NOTE: D2X-Rebirth can also play Descent 1 misisons but compared to XL this feature is undeveloped due to the fact that we have D1X-Rebirth. Also due to this fact I'd like to develop this feature different so Descent 1 missions inside D2X-Rebirth could be played WITH some unique features of Descent 2 so the gaming experience is a whole fresh one. But that's still a bit away.)

So for me personal XL does go into a way I personally do not like. However PLEASE consider this is just an OPINION - not critique or "flame".
I will not give details on "why" becuase I feel that no matter how often I stress that this is just my opinion, it might be considered as flame.

2) We cannot be in a competition since we do not participate in a market, we do "not need to fight over our users" to ensure our income, or something like that. Mainly I do Rebirth for fun. I think it's a valid alternative and there are a few active users here in the forum which actually use it. It's an alternative like FireFox or Chrome in terms of web broswers for example. Some might argue Rebirth just "is not necessary". Some might disagree. I think there is no wrong or right answer to what's the "right" or "best" port. It's a matter of preference - and highly subjective.

Still DXX-Rebirth is my hobby. I'd work on it no matter what. Simply because I love the games and I want to create my personal "vision" of Descent and Descent 2.
And since I do it anyways - why not share it with others? That simple. :)
The greatest pleasure in life is to do what people say you cannot do.
Uhm... Honey, there's a head in the toilet!

Gold Leader

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 09:43:20 AM »
DXX-Rebirth runs better on older systems and retains the original look and feel of descent 1 and 2 themselves as where D2X-XL is a more graphical and demanding one when it comes to certain types of computer hardware, D2X-XL is aimed morely aimed to the new-gen high performance game PC's from 2004 and onwards, also depending on what configuration it's based on of course :)

D2X-XL also supports up to 16 players instead of 8, it has a lot of D3 based game modes, supports more mods and has vaster level style support, take Anthology made and created by Sirius as a good example:
http://www.povterminal.net/content.php?section=descent&module=d2%20levels

Both projects are very cool and these are projects that keep the Descent spirit alive and I hope they both will retain their own values both ways 8)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 09:49:48 AM by Gold Leader »

Offline Dude

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 05:37:21 AM »
Personal opinion here, but Rebirth is much more true to the original game, having improved functionality while staying as true to the original game as possible as the number one goal. D2-XL is much more about being visually superior to the original game (Although I personally find the special effects & artwork of d2-xl to be garish, tasteless, and over-detailed, but that's just me). BUT to be fair, d2-xl is the only attempt that I know of to make descent into a hi-def game, so at least they have that going for them.

Flip

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 08:32:42 AM »
Rebirth if your main focus is killing bots or other pilots, D2x-xl if you like special effects.

Offline zif

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 02:50:04 PM »
Quote from: 'Skafsgaard' pid='10140' dateline='1306476088'
I realize that D2X-XL might be considered a competitor, so mentioning it on here might be frowned upon.

Welcome!

It's not officially "frowned upon" or anything like that but it does *always* result in an argument. It's a topic that's best left alone.

To everyone:

Some people like DXX-R and some like D2X-XL. Some others like both. Yay.

Let us stop this thread *before* the evil grows.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 03:13:43 PM by zif »
zif: Why haven't they fixed that yet :S
Ralathar: Bug report it :p
zif: I'll bug report you

Offline tryone

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 08:07:59 PM »
Quote from: 'zif' pid='10185' dateline='1306590604'

Some people like DXX-R and some like D2X-XL. Some others like both. Yay.

Let us stop this thread *before* the evil grows.

too late.
shit. wrong nickname...
But wait ... :evil: <- this will grow. :p

And yes, this is totally offtopic :D
Optimisten sind Pessimisten, die nicht alle Fakten kennen.

Offline Pumo

• http://www.pumosoftware.co.nr
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 12:59:49 AM »
Quote from: 'zif' pid='10185' dateline='1306590604'

...Some others like both. Yay.

That's me!
Super-yay!  :D

Pumo Software Website
- Pumo Mines progress: 56%

Offline Skafsgaard

• , Thomas
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/skafsgaard
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 09:39:45 AM »
Thanks for all the helpful responses, guys! :)

I definitely feel satisfied with Rebirth, so I'm just sticking with that. Seems to me to be the perfect source port.
I understand why someone might want something like D2X-XL, though. I might eventually check that out myself at some point, just for the heck of it. Everything has it place in time and space.

By the way, zico, the fact that your port supports add-ons is really a great feature!
It seems like it would be ideal to utilize it for graphical add-on packs, potentially in both the model and texture department. Also, that way people can choose whether to maintain the classic look or try on a graphical add-on for size.
While I realized making such add-ons is no small undertaking, have you ever thought about seeking out talented artists for this purpose?

Cheers :)
Skafsgaard\'s signature: Struggle Saga \"S\"
Slimy syndicate subordinate super-supporter. She submissively, still supposing, sadly slew Schengen - summa summarum; some slight shit susceptibility slip so screwed sensibility sinfully.

Flip

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 10:32:35 AM »
XL is pretty cool, but I'm more of the type that likes to kill people then run off laughing like a jackelope :P. For years, I had a 3 ghz pc that would hardly run XL :rolleyes:, but recently it runs pretty smooth, but like I said, I don't care how pretty someone dies, just that they die ;)

Offline BraveToaster

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 05:24:51 PM »
It's quite simple and there's really no reason to start a flame war:

Rebirth: A modern version of Descent, sticking to the original look-and-feel as closely as possible, with fixes where applicable (nicer explosions, bugs fixed, etc.).

D2X-XL: A "better" Descent, kind of a mix of Descent 2 and 3 (and taken beyond that). Modern graphics, new features, huge levels possible - check out some of the level packs on the D2X-XL page. They are really cool, and personally I do not really see the point of playing levels designed for XL in Rebirth (if possible at all) - just as I wouldn't want to play the original Descent levels in the D2X-XL look & feel.

So, what I want is to play Descent on my PC that I have today, in high resolution and without any hassle of DOSbox, graphics glitches due to the old Pentium-optimized software renderer and the like. For that, Rebirth is perfect for me.
If you'd like to have a Descent-style game, but with today's graphics - go for D2X-XL. Or switch between both whenever you feel like it. Quite a few people do that. ;)

Offline Alter-Fox

• DXX Pet Panther
  • ...the nightmares came true!
    • Vertigo Fox's Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 06:17:46 PM »
The way I see it...
I consider Rebirth to be D1 and D2, and XL to be the closest thing to a D4.
As was mentioned before D2X-XL feels like a mix of D2 and D3 - and specifically what I think were the best parts of both games.

So when I want to play D1 or D2 I play Rebirth.  When I want to play D4 (or play D1 and D2 levels in D4) I play XL.  Which one I play more depends on... total random thought processes that I don't know.  I fluctuate.

And yeah, the D2X-XL-only levels are awesome (outdoor areas, wind tunnels, in-mine teleports, etc).  Playing the original levels in XL can be cool (I've beat D2 Counterstrike on hotshot in both XL and Rebirth, very different experiences, and I beat Vertigo on hotshot in XL - I think I only managed it because of the inventory), but the full D2X-XL experience is definitely the missions designed for it (and they can't be played in any other Descent version).

The (tentative) eventual plan for D2X-XL is to release it legally for free, with completely new content (basically making it D4 :P).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 06:24:12 PM by Alter-Fox »

The eyes of the plush lobster stared deep into my soul. I touched it, made as if to pick it up, and then I turned into a panther.

---------------------------------------------------
Check out my music @ Vertigo Fox